Old 04-04-2005, 12:24 AM
Srgnt Billko

"Timothy" wrote in message
news:1112556565.0044d60c0c0da6b7827c32492c38d083@t eranews...
On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 14:51:09 +0000, Winston Smith wrote:

How can I keep the deer from destroying my landscape? Are there any
methods known to man that will keep them out of my plants? Are there

some
nice looking plants that they will not eat? Any rational ideas would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have to deal with deer alot and very little works on a permanent basis.
Sprays wear off with time or rain and planting deer resistant plants will
only work so well also. The young deer will tast everything once it seems.
The one thing that I have found that works really well is a double fence.

It turns out deer have very bad eye sight and they can not tell
depth perception very well at all. If you were to put up a fence that was
3.5 feet tall and another fence that was 4 feet tall seperated by 3 or 4
feet, this would be rather effective. Granted that this is *not* deer
proof and that one or two deer will learn to jump it, but the other fourty
will not.

I've had people argue that deer can jump 12+ feet over a fence and this is
true,

My six foot fence stops them from coming into the garden area. I'm sure
they can jump higher - if chased - but to get to something without being
chased they haven't been that energetic by me.

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.