Old 04-04-2005, 12:11 AM
Phil L

JennyC wrote:
:: "Totty" wrote in message
:: oups.com...
::: I've been lurking here and on the 'other' gardening group to see
::: which one will be more relevant to my needs. I 'garden' on a
::: south facing slope in Eastern Spain. The climate is more
::: equivalent to California than the Cotswalds, but the humour on
::: this Group is definitely superior.
::: Jo
::
:: Hi Jo,
:: yep, the humour here is very much in evidence :~))
::
:: Lucky you in such a nice location.
:: What sort of temperatures do you have summer/winter ?
::

Whilst googling for Eastern Spain climate I came upon an interesting
article:

Peninsular Spain experiences three climatic types: continental, maritime,
and Mediterranean.

(big snip of continental and maritime...continental covers the majority and
central Spain up to the Eastern mountains, maritime covers the Northerly
parts...I'm assuming she is in the Mediterranean climate zone...)

The Mediterranean climatic region extends from the Andalusian Plain along
the southern and eastern coasts up to the Pyrenees, on the seaward side of
the mountain ranges that parallel the coast. Total rainfall in this region
is lower than in the rest of Spain, and it is concentrated in the late
autumn-winter period. Generally, rainfall is slight, often insufficient,
irregular, and unreliable. Temperatures in the Mediterranean region usually
are higher in both summer and winter, and diurnal temperature changes are
more limited than those of the continental region. Temperatures in January
normally average 10 to 13 C in most of the Mediterranean region, and they
are 9 C colder in the northeastern coastal area near Barcelona. In winter,
temperatures inland in the Andalusian Plain are slightly lower than those on
the coasts. Temperatures in July and August average 22 to 27 C on the coast
and 29 to 31 C farther inland, with low humidity. The Mediterranean region
is marked by Leveche winds--hot, dry, easterly or southeasterly air currents
that originate over North Africa. These winds, which sometimes carry fine
dust, are most common in spring. A cooler easterly wind, the Levante,
funnels between the Sistema Penibetico and the Atlas Mountains of North
Africa.

....I'm thinking of emigration now...

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country
and our people, and neither do we."
- George W. Bush, 5.8.2004