Old 04-04-2005, 11:06 AM
Sacha

On 3/4/05 22:11, in article , "WRabbit"
wrote:

Hello to all

I've been lurking for a month or so trying to get inspiration for the garden
and to try and avoid making too many horrible mistakes. So far I've learned
how not to cut the grass, not to be too paranoid about my compost heap and
that I'm not the only one waging a war with brambles.

Thought I'd better say hello before I start bombarding you with stupid
questions.

Welcome to urg and remember the motto: "there ARE no stupid questions"! We
have quite a few posters from 'up north', so you'll probably get quite a bit
of help one way and another.

Our garden is relatively small and just outside Glasgow - which means it
gets plenty of rain! Our back garden is mainly slabbed with narrow raised
beds running round it (empty), and a couple of small beds near the house.
It's north facing and gets very little light in winter when the sun is low
in the sky, but is quite pleasant at this time of year.

snip
I'm also not sure about how best to support whatever I plant. The spans
between the posts are about 5ft - would plastic mesh sag? I thought wire
mesh (either galvanised or plastic coated) would be a better support, but it
looks quite ugly when the plants don't cover it.

You could try chain or rope 'swagged' between the posts and let the climbers
ramble over those. Or could you attach wooden trellis to the fencing posts?
snip
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk