Old 04-04-2005, 01:23 PM
w.g.s.hamm

"Andy" wrote in message
om...
(I can only post using Google hence the new post, although I have
searched through old threads, honestly!)

My lawn at the back has a circular section of turf removed of about 7
feet in diameter (also currently about 4 inches below the level of the
rest of the garden). We have used this in the past for bedding, a
couple of aborted attepmts at shrubs (cats/kids/footballs - don't get
me going) and a few other experiments. We have come to the conclusion
that we need to put it back to grass again - it is right in the middle
of the lawn.

My question is - do I topsoil and seed it, or buy turf? What I am
keen to avoid is creating a huge dimple in the lawn in 12 months time
if I don't get my levels right now. I know I should leave the new bit
raised slightly to allow for settling, but how much by? Is the
required level different if I turf it?

All advice gratefully received.

personally I would turf it. At least you know that turf will not settle as
much as loose soil and seed.