Old 04-04-2005, 06:13 PM
ZoeM ZoeM is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanagaj
Hi,

I have a Passion FLower that has been growing up a 5' fence for 5 years. Every year I prune all of the top growth back. What I now see is that there is mainly stems on the fence and all the growth is on the top of the fence.

Can I cut it right back to within a couple of feet of the grouns ?

Thanks

I had a similar thing with my Passion Flower. I looked in my pruning book, which says 'cut back stems that have carried fruit to the stems that form the network' and also 'in mid-spring thin out main stems, if necessary, and shorten laterals to 6 inches'. Apparently, cutting it right back encourage lots of 'leafy growth with few flowers and fruit'. (My dad cut his right back one year and lost it).

Don't know if that helps (?!)

Zoe