Old 04-04-2005, 06:42 PM
Beth Peace

Default Crepe Myrtle and a beaver...dam

I bought a 6+ foot Crepe Myrtle and planted it in the fall of '03. It
bloomed well last summer and I trimmed it back this spring. Well, a beaver
decided I didn't trim enough, and cut 4 of the 5 main trunks back to about 1
foot - three while we were on vacation, the other 2 nights ago. I expect
the 5th to go any day now.

I really don't want a Crepe Myrtle shrub; what do I do? Will trimming all
but one leader on each trunk eventually get it back to a fairly normal
shape? Should I cut it to the ground?

I didn't know the beavers were still around Bond Lake, but the teeth marks
are pretty unmistakable.