Old 04-04-2005, 08:38 PM
David Kirk

"flanagaj" wrote in message

Hi,

I have a Passion FLower that has been growing up a 5' fence for 5
years. Every year I prune all of the top growth back. What I now see
is that there is mainly stems on the fence and all the growth is on the
top of the fence.

Can I cut it right back to within a couple of feet of the grouns ?

Thanks

--
flanagaj

Passiflora Caerula responds well to pruning. I can't promise it will come
from a stem that is really woody but it will from green stems as thick as
your finger. If you can see little tuft like buds then there will be no
problem. If you are concerned then try the odd branch or two first. I've had
them cut down from the frost and sprout from underground. They also have a
tendency to sucker and keep popping up in my lawn.

--
David Kirk, Workington, Cumbria
Email: