Old 04-04-2005, 09:08 PM
Jim Carlock

"Leon Trollski" fandom at netguy dot net wrote:
How? I never heard that before.

Oops I thought I pasted in what your wrote... this reads better.

"Jim Carlock" wrote:
Yeah, our rose bush grew to about 12 feet in height last summer
before we pruned it. I had ground up a banana peel in a blender
and started doing that about once every three months. I noticed
the black spot and was told that is normal. Some of the last peels
I messed with have been sitting in a bowl for awhile and I noticed
a mold growing on them. I don't know if it's a good thing or a
bad thing, that mold (green powdery stuff), so was thinking, well
if it's bad I'll just throw in some grits because corn gluten reportedly
helps control weeds and fungus...

Furthermore, the following page indicates that garlic is to use
against various bugs...
http://www.centralsan.org/education/ipm/resources.html
The list of bugs includes:
Mosquitoes, Ants, aphids, leafhoppers, thrips, whiteflies, etc

I don't know but I sure do like what I'm reading. Maybe some-
one else that has good success against whiteflies and aphids and
misquitoes might comment on the subject. I had a terrible time
with whiteflies last year.

One of the corn gluten link and black spot links:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...300313017.html

One person at the link indicates that edible cornmeal is the black
spot preventive measure, while corn gluten meal is a weed controller.

The "Jim Dandy" grits I'm trying seem to be ground white corn. So I'm
crossing my fingers.

As far as the banana peels helping with roses... just search google for:
"banana peel" roses

You'll find some stuff in the garden groups as well concerning the
the information.

Hope that helps.

--
Jim Carlock