Old 04-04-2005, 11:42 PM
Mark Anderson

In article says...
I guess a possibility is growing something that gets cut back in the
fall and moving the pots to my garage. It is not heated, but will be
protected from the wind. I would need something that grows very
quickly though to cover the length of my trellis if it is going to
start from scratch each sprint.

Morning Glories are excellent fast growing vines. I grow a lot of them
in pots and if started early, like now, they can climb more than 15 feet.
They also provide nice foliage. I can get 3 plants going in a
12"x12"x16"(high) pot with no problem. They do however need to be
watered practically every night during the summer which can be a PITA
after awhile.

I was thinking of growing grapes in large pots here in Chicago but it
appears that may not be possible. I'm building a permanent trellis
system and hoped to populate that with a grape vine that would take many
years to grow. Oh well.