Old 04-04-2005, 09:53 PM
Kay

In article , Gary Woods
writes
Sacha wrote:

Ah - we planted a medlar a couple of years ago, and I'm waiting happily for
it to fruit. AIUI, with medlars you wait for them to be almost rotten
before eating them.

I've seen some discussion of medlars on the North American Fruit Explorer's
E-list. An ancient relative of pears, I believe....

They're in the same subfamily of the rose family as pears ... and also
apples, quince and hawthorn. So not particularly related to pears more
than any of the others.

the process is called
"bletting," and it's sort of controlled decay. But then, I made a batch of
sauerkraut, and am in the process of eating it!

--
Kay