Old 04-04-2005, 10:28 PM
Hel

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 12:32:44 +0100, Noodle Doo wrote:

When growing tomatoes from seed the knack is to stop them from stretching &
keep them as short jointed as possible - you have not mentioned how many
true leaves are on your plants, I am hoping that that are not just on their
seed leaves and are 4 to 5 inches tall.

Nope, they have a lot more than their seed leaves, and look very much like
small tomato plants

Even so, all is not lost if the plants are stretched as you can always plant
them well down as roots will develop from the stem.
In fact this is worth doing when they go out into their final position -
when I have had stretched plants I have planted them out so that even the
seed leaves & the first true leaf joint is below the surface (remove these
leaves first).
Most plants will wilt a bit when re-potted - provided they are watered (not
overwatered) and kept slightly shaded for the first day or so they should
recover.

They seem fine now I've put them in the shade - I've also raised the soil
level to bury the stems some more.

Cheers for the advice
Helen

--

(remove the last letter of the alphabet to e-mail me)