Old 05-04-2005, 08:28 AM
Broadback

Phil L wrote:

Ian Cox wrote:
:: On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 22:04:07 GMT, Phil L wrote:
::
::: Broadback wrote:
::::: Can you compost the cuttings and moss removed after Lawn feed
::::: and weed with moss killer? I would have thought that residue
::::: might kill your plants afterwards. However perhaps time cures
::::: all. Seems a shame to bin it, also the way things are going
::::: that could be a problem as the councils check on bin contents.
:::
::: The council checks your rubbish? - how do they know it's yours
::: when it's mixed with 8 tonnes of other stuff?
::
:: Blimey, our bin doesn't hold anywhere *near* 8 tonnes!
::

I meant after it had been emptied into the wagon :-p ...surely they don't
examine every binful prior to loading it onto the truck?

At the moment they do not check. However it is generally accepted that
there is a move to reduce rubbish, in fact many councils are planning
reducing collections to fortnightly. Also some councils have employed
people to check the contents of bins before being emptied and speak to
the owners if they contain recyclable rubbish. Also believe it or not
wheelie bins are now being manufactured with electronic chips embedded.
No one quite knows what they will be used for, my mind boggles.