Old 05-04-2005, 08:58 AM
Martin Brown

Tumbleweed wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message

Can you compost the cuttings and moss removed after Lawn feed and weed
with moss killer? I would have thought that residue might kill your
plants afterwards. However perhaps time cures all. Seems a shame to bin
it, also the way things are going that could be a problem as the councils
check on bin contents.

Its usually printed on the instructions, and IIRC usually says dont use the
first one or two mowings.

Unless you have something really dreadful and persistent (and banned)
from way back most broad leaf specific lawn weedkillers will be easily
deactivated in a hot compost heap after 6-8 months. And diluted with all
the rest of the years grass cuttings they should pose no real problem.
It should say on the instructions how long it stays active.

If there is any doubt about the compost wrt weedkiller contamination try
growing some mustard and cress on it. If they come up all distorted and
mangled then the weedkiller is still active.

You must not use fresh grass clippings from treated lawns as a mulch
though - the weedkiller could transfer to other plants that way.

I compost all my grass clippings. OTOH I use minimal weedkiller.

Regards,
Martin Brown