Old 05-04-2005, 11:34 AM
leftred

"John Savage" wrote in message
om...
In a Sydney suburb there is a climber on the netting fence of a block
of units---it has fascinating flowers, they are shaped like a tuba! (A
tuba is that overgrown saxaphone thing that you see in brass marching
bands, e.g., the Sallies, etc.) The flowers are purple and green speckled,
and are basically trumpet shaped, but hang down then turn fully upwards
before flaring out widely to face you, very like a tuba! These look like
they chould be a type of carnivorous plant but I know they are not as
these structures are the flowers, not modified leaves. The flowers develop
into ridged green pods like a tiny football which open into dark brown
claw-shapes each containing hundreds of seeds which are like heart-shaped
half-size Honesty seeds. Didn't I say they were fascinating?

Anyone able to put a name to this climber?

The climber has just finished flowering, the vine is now decorated with
all
the dark brown claw-shaped open pods. I have planted a few hundred of the
seeds into a pot, they are just coming up now.

At the risk of introducing a serious note into this thread. Your vine sounds
like a Dutchman's Pipe Vine (Aristolochia elegans). Try here
http://www.brisrain.webcentral.com.a...e12/dpipe.html