Old 05-04-2005, 01:04 PM
Katra

In article ,
David wrote:

Katra wrote:
In article ,
David wrote:

Katra wrote:

In article ,
David wrote:

Katra wrote:

In article ,
jetgraphics wrote:

I would appreciate any suggestions, ideas, or criticisms of the idea of
using a trellis & wire system to support vines (climbing or drooping) to
shade a rooftop and house side walls in Zone 7 (hot & humid).

Would suspended planters for droopers also work?

Furthermore, if anyone has information on suitable candidates for an
edible
sunshade, please post it.

Thank you.

Grapevines? :-)
The only problem with those is that they lose their leaves in the winter.

You could also try Passiflora edulis or Passiflora incarnata.
Those both produce edible fruits, and they tend to be evergreen.

My Passiflora cerulea stayed green all winter thru 4 or 5 good freezes.
I want to find some of the other two species and get them planted here
as well.

Plastic lattice as a trellis looks nice and is more durable than wood
lattice. It's more expensive but lasts forever, and it comes in colors!

Any suggestions on how to get Passiflora edulis seeds to sprout. I
received a bunch as a gift last fall, so far I've tried pete tabs and
sowing them straight into potting soil in 4 inch pots. So far nary a
sprout is to be seen. Should I pre-soak the seeds? score them, soak them
in alcohol or peroxide?

Thanks in advance.
David

I am new to passiflora... so have no experience (yet) to pass on.
Did a brief google tho' and this site looks promising for this:

http://www.passionflow.co.uk/seed211.htm

I am hoping to get seeds this year, but will also experiment with
starting from cuttings. Mine is P. cerulea.

Thanks for the link. I'd done some searching previously, but had not
seen this page. Looks like I have some experimentation ahead of me. Good
luck with your P. cerulea.

Thank you! :-)
I'm currently attempting hand pollination of some blossoms to try to
induce fruiting. I want to try seed propagation, but am also planning on
playing around with air layering for clone propagation.

And here I thought I'd just throw some seed in the ground and get some
passion fruit. And to think, I used to collect the fruit in the wild
when I lived in Hawai'i. There were at least three varieties I knew
where stands of them were. Oh well. At least I know the work will be
well worth it. But clone propogation? You are way ahead of me there.

shrugs It's often easier and faster, hence more rewarding than seed
propagation. My two Wisteria vines are a perfect example! 5 years old
started from seed and only 12" tall. :-P

I bought a good book by Rodale's on plant propagation and it's very very
well written! Air layering seems to be the most promising for a lot of
perrennials.

Just take a small pot of good soil, (I plan to use Miracle Grow) and
place it near the main vine or plant. Choose a nice section of vine or
whatever, and select a promising joint where the leaves are coming out.
Remove the leaves and stuff that section an inch or so into the soil,
then just leave it alone for a period of time until that section sprouts
roots into the soil.

That can then be cut from the "mother plant" to make a new plant. :-)

Seems to be a bit more sure than cutting propagation using rooting
compound.

Kat

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada