Old 05-04-2005, 09:26 AM
J Jackson

Robin H wrote:
: Im interested in saving seed from radicchio as my local supplier sells if
: for more than crack occaine. (They dont sell rock. You have to get that
: somewhere else.) Ive only ever saved seed from lettuce and spinach.

: When do you plant it? How do you look after it? What do you do with it over
: the winter? Im afraid that I havent figured out what my Zone is but I am in
: a submediterranean climate. The variety that Im growing is some kind of
: Palla Rossa (85 days).

I grow this at 400feet in Yorkshire (UK of course), and it over winters,
though I cloche them. I simply stake them, allow them to flower and seed.
Pretty blue flowers brighten up the veg plots. The seed I don't gather
(thats most of it) simply self sows. I'm always finding a few self sown
plants around. I can remember the variety I started out with 8 or more
years ago.