Old 05-04-2005, 06:29 PM
Rod

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 18:08:56 +0000, JustJo
wrote:

Hi

I moved into a previouly empty house about 6 weeks ago and now the
weather is starting to get better I have donned my gardening groves and
started to find the garden under the jungle in my back yard!

The brambles were awful at the bottom of the garden so I had then all
sawed down but already the stumps are starting to sprout little leaves
again.

I tried to dig out the roots but they are see thick and complex and
frankly, I'm just not that strong

I have a young daughter and I was hoping to make that part of the
garden into a veg patch so I'm not keen on poison. Do I have any
choice?

You don't need great strength, you just need a 'grub axe' aka
'mattock' These look rather like a stubby pick axe - available from
builder's merchants, farm suppliers or
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...sfile=1&jump=0
The one you want is the upper of the 2 illustrated - you will also
need a handle, shown on the same page. I spent quite a bit of this
last winter hacking out a big area of Rhododendron ponticum with one
of these, you just need to take your time, think about what you're
doing and hack the thick roots one at a time. Learn to make angled
cuts that cut the roots rather than trying to break them by hitting
them at 90 degrees - that just stops the axe and jars your wrists.
Healthy exercise, no poisons and when you get 'em out like this
they're gone for good.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.