Old 05-04-2005, 08:39 PM
Dave Poole

Janet Baraclough wrote:

I don't think they do "bushy". They're "architectural"

The terms aren't mutually exclusive :-) Well established fatsia can
certainly be both bushy and architectural.

Quite right - it is the nature of Fatsia japonica to develop into a
large, well branched shrub. Without having a jab at Steve in any
shape or form, I doubt if anyone told the plant that it was supposed
to be 'architectural.' at the expense of appearing 'natural'. It does
not appreciate harsh, freezing winds for long periods and can look a
terrible mess at the end of a cold spell. However, they can recover
extremely well once poor weather has passed and by early summer most
if not all damage is usually remedied. Not so the variegated form,
which seems to be quite pernickety even down here on the south coast.
Either that or I grew it in very poor soil and failed to give it
enough water!

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.