Old 05-04-2005, 11:25 PM
Phil L

Mike wrote:
:: "batgirl" wrote in message
:: ...
::: Hi,
:::
::: I have just removed all the old turf from my garden as it was
::: incredibly lumpy and filled with weeds. I am preparing the site
::: now to sow grass seed when I'm ready. My problem is, now I have
::: an enormous pile of turf at the bottom of my garden. What can I
::: do with it? It is FULL of weeds, I've removed what I can but I'm
::: sure a fair few dandelions etc. have slipped through. The area I
::: cleared is 5m by 10m so there is a huge amount and I don't really
::: want a hill at the bottom of my garden! Any ideas gratefully
::: received!
:::
::: Clare
:::
:::
::
:: Hi Clare
::
:: We have in the past done the same thing and you scratch your head
:: and wonder how the devil you can make it disappear :-((
::
:: You will have to build a turf wall or square, preferably the
:: latter if you have the room. Turn each turf upside down and place
:: them on top of each other. As I say either build a wall or a
:: square. The grass on the outside will tend to want to grow, that
:: is why a square is better. Ignore it for about a couple of months
:: then slice down the sides and remove this growing grass. Dump it
:: on top, upside down. Keep on doing this during the growing season.
:: By the way you can make use of this pile to grow marrows on :-))
::
:: In time, about 12 months, possibly more, the pile would have
:: reduced in size, all the weeds in the middle died and if you can
:: leave it for another 12 months, you will find you have a wonderful
:: fine soil suitable for putting back in the beds :-))
::
:: Mike

You said all that without mentioning cats!

:-p

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country
and our people, and neither do we."
- George W. Bush, 5.8.2004