Old 05-04-2005, 11:52 PM
Kay

In article , Gary Woods
writes
Janet Baraclough wrote:

We can buy very nice radicchio and chicory in shops in the UK

And here too... I was just saying that they are close kin, and seed growing
is done the same way. Just had a reply, in fact, from Michigan, and they
said radicchio overwinters there, so it's hardier than some references
would indicate.
I may be on dangerous ground here, but do "Queen Anne's Lace" (wild carrot)

Wild carrot - Daucus carota grows wild particularly around the
coastline, but isn't usually called 'Queen Anne's lace' which is
reserved for other abundant umbellifers such as Cow parsley (Anthriscus
sylvestris).

They don't grow particularly well in gardens so aren't regarded as weeds
in the same way as, eg, bindweed, chickweed, dandelion. think Ground
Elder is our only really nuisance umbellifer

and "Ragged Sailor" (wild chicory) grow as weeds in the UK? Many American
weeds, like most Americans, are immigrants after all!

We have wild chicory, but not very abundant, so definitely not though of
as a weed.
--
Kay