Old 06-04-2005, 04:54 AM
S Orth

First off, decreased sunlight under the tree canopy is usually a problem.
In addition, there is usually less rainfall that gets to the area beneath
the canopy. You can try a shady grass mix and supplement water for the area
under the tree canopy. But as a lazy, don't-care-about-grass person, I'd
say you're best bet is to use a couple inches of shredded mulch in the area
and be done with it. Also, when growing grass beneath trees, the grass gets
first dibs at the water and nutrients, which means a less vigorous root
system for the tree.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just replanted sod around the mulberry tree in front of my house. The
grass around the tree has been struggling, competing nutrient with the
tree. I have bermuda grass and the shade of the tree makes the
situation worse. I am wondering what I can do to keep both the tree and
lawn happy. I believe I have watered and fertilized the lawn
sufficiently. Thanks for suggestions.

Jay