Old 06-04-2005, 07:17 AM
Elaine T

George wrote:
"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"ba5416" wrote in message

The ice came off the pond a week or so ago. Found several fish floating on
the surface and several on the bottom. Pond is about a 1000 ga, 4ft deep

at

the deep end. Pond has been in place for 4 years now with no problems. I
leave the pump running 24/7/365, turn the fountain off and leave the
waterfall run to keep things open.
Did the water quality tests once I found the dead fish. Everything was

OK.

$ You didn't allow the fish to find the "warm spots" at the bottom of the
pond and rest for the winter. The current and cold probably killed them.
Just about everyone in a cold climate turns the waterfalls etc off to allow
this natural rest period - and so that the water can do it's natural
conversion (cold at the top, warmer and still at the bottom.)

I see that you flunked thermodynamics. Cold water sinks. Warm water rises.

I see you fluked chemistry. ;-) Water is at its absolute highest
density at 4 degrees C, above freezing. Because of this, interesting
thermal stratifications can occur in cold, still water.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__