Old 06-04-2005, 08:29 AM
Elaine T

George wrote:

I don't know what calander you use, but mine says that it is spring already.
The green water should be a clue. If you had fish jumping out before, and
replaced them with more fish, who are now jumping out, you likely have water
quality problem. I would do at least a 50% water change immediately, followed
by a 10% change in about a week. You need to get whatever (probably ammonia or
very high nitrates) is irritating them out of the water. You probably also need
to add more water flow/aeration, at a minimum. Is your pond filtered? Another
possibility is that they are mating (yes, it's just about that time of year).

Thanks. It's definately spring here. I'm in zone 10.
Lessee...

I tested and water is 0/0/5 ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, pH 7.0. I seeded
bacteria from my indoor fish tanks and added a lot of plants at the
start so I never really saw any ammonia or nitrites. Gambusia to went
in about 6 weeks ago, and I added some white clouds 4 weeks ago. The
white clouds have spawned and fry are alive, consistent with very good
water quality.

Volume is approx. 70 gallons across 3 whisky barrels connected with DIY
spillways. The spillways stop about 2" from the water surface to get a
bit of splash, pleasant sound, and good aeration. Circulation is strong
at about 200 gph, filtration is a sponge prefilter over cages of bio balls.

Due to problems with the spillways leaking and having to drain for
repairs, I've been unintentionally changing about 15-20 gallons a week.

I think the green water is from a sudden change to warmer weather and a
lot of sunlight. From what I've been reading, I'll have trouble with
various sorts of algae until about 2/3 of the pond surface is covered
with floating plants or shaded by marginals and they haven't gotten that
far yet.

So, as far as I know there is nothing about the water itself that would
cause a fish to jump out. I've been keeping aquaria for a long time and
understand basic fish needs. However, I'm new to goldfish and ponds.
Do you think one of the jumpers could have been a female without eggs
trying to escape an overly amorous male?

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__