Old 06-04-2005, 08:51 AM
Kay

In article ], Chris ]
writes
I thought I'd try growing bush tomatoes in various ways to see what
works best - and one idea was to use pots on the patio.

The seed packet advises 12" pots but when I went into the local garden
centre I was appalled at the price - about six quid for a pot - and over
two quid for a corresponding saucer!

This seems totally crazy!
Is there any reason for such high prices?

Are there good alternatives?
Wilco wastebins with holes drilled in the bottom?

Yes, that'd be fine. Anything similar that you can get hold of cheap or
free. Needs to be strong enough not to split if you try to move it when
full of soil.

Are saucers needed?

Not if your watering regime is so good that the soil is always moist ;-)
That is unachievable, and trying to re-wet dry soil when anything more
than an egg-cup full of water runs straight through is well nigh
impossible if you don't have some sort of saucer or tray underneath.

Don't be tempted to omit drainage holes altogether - there will come a
time when the plants are waterlogged and that will damage the roots. A
dodge that seems to work with other plants (not tried it on tomatoes but
don't see why it shouldn't work) is to drill the drainage holes in the
sides, about 2 inches up. That way, you can have a reservoir at the
bottom, while still maintaining drainage. I don't bother, but you might
want to fill the bottom couple of inches with stones or broken pots
instead of soil.

--
Kay