Old 06-04-2005, 09:01 AM
JennyC

Posting at the top of an article because that
is where your cursor happened to be is like
crapping in your pants because that is where
your arse happened to be

Jenny

"jason" wrote in message
Thanks for the reply.

Yes I think your right, maybe it will come back in good time. I've
decided to leave it for another year but infill with a smaller one in front
so at least I can enjoy the form if from two rather than one plant. No
pruning even the brown bits !!!!#

Thanks again.............

Be Lurking

Jason
"w.g.s.hamm" wrote in message

"jason" wrote in message
Hi all.

I'm a newbie to this newsgroup as I have not so long ago moved to

house
with a garden, so my interest is developing. The garden is mostly at the
landscaping stage but I did manage to create a single bed last year!!! It

is
a new build house so I have started from scratch, from a two
dimensionally
sloping lawned area to, what will be, and is the way too, a more tiered
structure.

But I digress, My question is concerning "fatsia japonica". I have

this
plant in my one border (among others I hasten to add) but it is looking
an
unhappy soul. It was planted at the end of last year in this semi shaded
bed, though it looked fine for the later throws of summer after wintering
(we are in Glossop, Derbyshire) it now looks a little worse for wear.
Some
of the branches are snapped and the leaves are browned at the edge. I

assume
this would be wind damaged as it has been quite rough for the last few
months. The new growth at the top had also died off. Now spring is upon
us
it is perking up a little and some new growth has appeared from the top.

The
plant is two foot tall and has aprox 5 leaves/side-shoots on it. I want
prune this back to create a more "bushy" plant rather than the single
stemmed scrawny thing it is now. I have searched the net for pruning tips
but I am a little unsure of what to do to to achieve a more fuller

specimen.

The quotes I have read say cut back to 6" above ground level in early
spring, but this seems harsh. Does any body have any advice on this

dilemma?
Is such harsh pruning (it works on a buddleia we have, but on Fatsia?) a
good idea? Would a feed be of help? If a photo of the plant would help I

can
forward one on if you so wish.............

I too have fastia and it too is looking a little sorry for itself. I would
not prune yours but wait and see what it does for at least one season. It
is
not yet established.
I am not an expert gardener by any means (know lots about animals though
:0)) but I tend to plant, then leave for a full year or two before either
moving or pruning. I guess I am a 'wait-and-see' sort of gardener. Stick
something in, and wait and see how it does.
HTH