Old 06-04-2005, 11:30 AM
JK

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message 1112715011.7e751485f8d38b96d58b63588f16f9ad@teran ews
from JK contains these words:

Janet Baraclough wrote:

Do take more care whose advice you follow, and avoid the obvious warning
signs :-(

That's a bit cryptic. Are you saying that ultrasonic cat scarers don't
work?

There is a newsgroup equivalent of the "phonepest|", called a troll.
Trolls are pests who attempt to disrupt newsgroups by various tactics,
including lying to mislead other posters, deliberately giving wrong or
malicious advice etc.

Genuine gardening posters often avoid the repetitive garbage endlessly
spewed by well-known trolls, by automatically killfiling all messages
originating from those authors. That means trolls who have made
themselves widely unpopular in a group, and have been widely killfiled,
spend most of their time in darkest limbo, unread and unaswered, hanging
around waiting for some innocent newcomer to swallow their bait.

Many people have your problem and ask for advice here. It's a frequently
asked question or FAQ, so much so there's a prepared answer available,
written by the gardeners here .(to find the FAQs, see the weekly abc-for
-newcomers-to -urg post). If ultrasound scares worked, everyone who had
your problem would swiftly be able to solve it and there would be many
genuine gardening posters here, saying "yes, thanks for that advice, I
tried it and it worked". They don't say that.

Hope that answers your questions.

Janet.

I know what a troll is, and I've read the FAQ. I think the only
contribution worth making for me here is to report back about my
ultrasonic cat frightener. Till then, I'll leave you crazy guys to your
ancient net wars.

You should all be ashamed of yourselves, by the way.