Old 06-04-2005, 12:04 PM
jane

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 08:02:05 +0100, Chris ] wrote:

~I thought I'd try growing bush tomatoes in various ways to see what
~works best - and one idea was to use pots on the patio.
~
~The seed packet advises 12" pots but when I went into the local garden
~centre I was appalled at the price - about six quid for a pot - and over
~two quid for a corresponding saucer!
~
~This seems totally crazy!
~Is there any reason for such high prices?
They will charge whatever the market will bear: if folk are daft
enough to pay that much then...

~Are there good alternatives?
Well I'm growing spuds in a 15" pot with two handles on either side
and decently sized drainage holes, so I can haul it about the garden
when I need to. The pot cost me 2.99. I noticed identical ones in use
at Kew the other Friday.

I shall probably pop a tom in it once the Rockets are gone (they've
been going 3 weeks and are ready in 10 so should be clear by the end
of May, just in time).

They're not the prettiest - I suspect that's the real reason you find
6 quid 12" pots. For saucers I now use sawn off watercooler bottle
bases (I use the tops as bell cloches) salvaged from the local
delivery depot. They were happy to recycle them in my direction as
against the plastic melters'

~Wilco wastebins with holes drilled in the bottom?
~Are saucers needed?
for tomatoes I'd say yes, though I grow mine in hanging baskets which
often dry out and still give me nice crops.

--
jane

Mark Twain