Old 06-04-2005, 01:57 PM
bigboard

Janet Tweedy wrote:

Word of warning with wormeries. I bought one from Wiggly Wigglers and
though I have followed instructions etc they don't seem to be
fantastically fast at breaking down the compost so I ma having to put a
small amount into the bins once a week and still continue to fill up the
compost bins at the back of the garden. Think at this rate I would need
about 25 bins to get rid of all the kitchen waste (minus the orange
peel) I had more worms in my plastic compost bins ...............

Janet

This can be a problem. The worms don't break down the waste itself, but
rather feed on the results of the natural breakdown. It does go a bit
faster if you chop up the waste finely so it rots quicker.

--
Liberty is the Mother, not the Daughter of Order.
-Proudhon