Old 07-04-2005, 01:47 AM
Chris Hanson Chris Hanson is offline
Registered User

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK
Anyone have a working method for deterring cats from using my garden as
a litter tray? I have two toddlers and I'd rather they took precedence
over the neighbours cat. I've so far seen a few methods, any comments on
these:

1. ultrasonic screamers (with IR detectors to trigger them)
2. water squirters (ditto)
3. aromatics
4. "zoo poo"

While humourous replies are always welcome, this is a serious question -
cat crap is pretty toxic and smelly stuff, I don't want it in my garden,
and I imagine I'm not alone.

TIA

John

A couple of things spring to mind:
1. What about a cat of your own? They are quite territorial, plus the satisfaction of knowing that your own has tried to crap nextdoor.
2. My dad always swore by a catapult and as long as the neighbours don't know you have one, why not!
3. Yes, I said a couple of things, but I just thought of this one. Your very own litter tray in a 'safe from toddler location'. If they are crapping now, atleast you will be able to control it to a greater degree. It is a hard thing to stop, so petition your cat owning neighbours to contribute with bags of cat litter. A responsible cat owner would see the value in that, just like responsible dog owners are expected to clean the crap from the streets.
4. Put down some mice traps with tasty morsels, that'll scare the living shit out of them!

Will someone please report on the efficacy of these new fangled machines?

Best of luck, cats are not only an urban problem as they strike in the rurals aswell!

Chris