Old 06-04-2005, 10:01 PM
Stacy Person

Phisherman wrote:
On 31 Mar 2005 17:13:57 -0800, "Chuckie" wrote:

I being overrun with ants. They start coming into my house about this
time every year. I have chemicals and I use them but I hate to use
them.
Is there a way I can eliminate the ant without dangerous chemicals?
Chuckie
Zone 5

Not everyone considers ants to be pests, but I don't care for ants in
the house either. There are ant traps and poisons to kill them. But
if you are interested in just repelling the ants you can puree hot
chili peppers and pour this as a barrier around doors, foundations,
and other places. Ants dislike aromatic plants such as mint,
lavender, chives, garlic, etc. I have used powdered lime or chalk to
repel ants (apparently it is irritating to them)--pulverized charcoal
and bone meal are also known to work.

I got the "plant mint" advice last summer to take care of ants. The
ants loved the mint, and built their hill around it. Boiling water in
the ant hills works wonders, though.

Doesn't help the nasties that get in the house, however. We're coming
up on ant time, so I'm getting prepared.

Stacy
Grand Island, NY
Zone 5