Old 07-04-2005, 01:01 AM
Brian Whatcott

On 6 Apr 2005 14:13:21 -0700, "Cdon" wrote:

AlanBown wrote:
I would start with the extension office of that local county.

I tried the town "planning & zoning" people (after the "construction"
folks referred me to them). They said to call one of three engineering
firms in the town but those engineering firms came up blank. They
didn't have a clue who would inspect an earth embankment.

Sounds a bit weird that the pipe is going to a neighbor.

Maybe I explained it wrong. The pipe merely goes to the other side of
the earch embankment (i.e., it transects the dam). It just sticks out
the other side of this ten-foot-tall embankment. It just so happens the
neighbor's property line is exactly at the foot of that embankment,
parallel to the embankment ... so the results is that the water goes
from the pond on property #1 to the pipe to a brook on property #2.

What are the water/ground water laws for NJ.

I do not know and I'm scared to death of the town becoming involved but
I do know that if the system is broken, I'll need to fix it and if I
want to modify anything I'll need competent engineering advice before I
do anything to the riparian system. But, I'd like to do all that
privately if possible.

In Colorado you can have water/river/stream on the property & can not

use it.

I don't understand what this implies. All I'd use the incoming water
for (which comes in from a stream) is to fill the pond and then spill
out to the neighbor's property. Nothing else is intended (the house is
situated only on 2 acres of hilly lawan so there's not much else to do
with the water but let it run on by).

Best check with the county/local authority and find out what
the deed restrictions/title are for the property.

As per above, I don't understand how this would matter.
All I want to have is some professional person (civil engineer,
hydraulic engineer, dam inspector, whatever) inspect it to tell me if
it's safe and sound and if it's not, to then tell me what I need to do
to fix it so that it is safe and sound.

I grew up on a farm in Iowa and if the dam did not leak that was good
enough for us.

There's more to the story than I said in that the neighbor is
complaining that it's structurally not sound (I think he is just trying
to keep anyone from purchasing the property but I don't know that for a
fact).

All I need is the Internet listing to find a company that has the
credentials to inspect an embankment such as this and tell me reliably
what (if anything) needs to be done to make that dam safe & sound.

What have I done wrong?
Does anyone know of such a consultant in northern NJ?

Hmmm...I am not sure you are getting the tips that one would prefer
in this situation, so let me just chew the cud.

There is an earth bank dam holding 10 feet of water possibly ,
abutting a neighbor's land. And the neighbor's stream is close by the
earth dam.
So there is an erosion risk from the stream. Are there people or
livestock down stream from a dam breach? If so, there is a risk.

So, let's think about that earth dam. The biggest Earth dam anywhere
(apparently) is at Dennison, Texas. That's the way they bill it
anyway. It's described as a modern even experimental technique...
Hmmm...no great support there!

How about history?
How long has the dam been in place? What is its service history?
How often has it been full? If the history is favorable - with no
breaches, no unplanned discharges, that seems like a plus.
Then you would be left with inspecting for NEW erosion evidence
which could lead to a first time breach.

If the discharge tube is a high level discharge, could it be rerouted
in some way?
Could you enquire about insurance against a breach?
The insuance company might want to inspect the risk. THEY
would find the person to inspect it then......

....as I say, just chewing the cud.

One more suggestion: if the neighbor is suggesting the dam is unsound,
I would document a question to him asking how the dam appears
unsound, and does the neighbor have any recommendation to ameliorate
his comfort level, as you wish to be a good neighbor.
(You catch more flies with honey...)

Good luck

Brian Whatcott Altus OK