Old 07-04-2005, 03:53 AM
Carlos

Default Red Oaks?

I have a relatively young red oak - trunk about 4" diameter. But, I am not
sure if it is a Shumard Red or a Texas red (bucklei?). It does not seem to
be growing very fast at all - not that I expect it to. But I've had it
almost 4 years and it barely seems to have grown at all. Other than this,
the foliage and everything else seem very healthy.

I am wondering if it is perhaps in a constrained bed - too much rock - that
might be slowing it down. But, if it is a Shumard, then the soil could be
wrong. I'm pretty sure the tag said Texas Red Oak, wish I kept it.

Any thoughts on growing red oaks?