Old 07-04-2005, 10:48 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Fig Tree

I try to never say never, but the "Celeste Fig" is a variety of the
edible fig "Ficus carica." The leaves on this are quite large, so it would
need to be a large bonsai. It is deciduous, not that that matters. The Ficus
(figs) you read about using for bonsai are more exotic varieties and the fruit is
usually not edible. Although Celeste might be cold hardy in the ground where
you live, I am not sure about a pot.

In a message dated 4/6/2005 11:24:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

I am interested in getting started in bonsai. I moved into a new
house in December and received a few fig trees in pots (grown from
cuttings). I am pretty sure it is a Celeste Fig, they are pretty
common down here in Louisiana. I planted one in the yard, but still
have one in a gallon plastic pot. It is about 12 - 16" tall right
now, and that is mainly new growth. Would it be possible to train
this into a bonsai, or is it too big already?

Thanks,

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++