Old 07-04-2005, 09:12 AM
Kay

In article ], Chris ]
writes
In article , Kay
writes
In article ], Chris ]
writes

Are saucers needed?

Not if your watering regime is so good that the soil is always moist ;-)
That is unachievable, and trying to re-wet dry soil when anything more
than an egg-cup full of water runs straight through is well nigh
impossible if you don't have some sort of saucer or tray underneath.

What are the saucers actually for?
Do you water the pots by adding water to the saucer?
Or do you water the top of the pot?

With a big pot like that, I water the top of the pot. The saucer is to
catch any water that runs straight through, so that the soil will soak
it up slowly over the next couple of hours.

Otherwise I'd have to keep going back to water a teacup at a time.
--
Kay