Old 07-04-2005, 06:07 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 4/7/2005 12:40:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

On this note, does anyone have experience growing Ficus Religiosa?
Anything
particularly strange about them that I should know (or anything about figs
in
general,

I think F. religiosa aka Bo Tree has rather large leaves also. They
are not cold hardy. Most Ficus respond well to pruning and (with the exception
of F. ben. and its cultivars) leaf removal. The white sap (latex) can be a
nuisance and irritating to some.
My favorite Ficus story is: About 1948 my family lived two blocks from
the ocean in Daytona Beach. We had a large F. elastic in the front yard of
our apartment house. (Well, it was large to a six year old.) The love of my life
can over to play and got latex in her hair. That was the end of our
relationship. Just as well, I met her later in my junior year at U of F and it was
clear I was too plebeian for her.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++