Old 07-04-2005, 04:22 PM
Carl Beyer

In article .com,
wrote:

Thanks for the reply
I actually have an external filter, anyone have this setup?

I have a small homemade skippy for a 500 gallon that is overstocked.

My pump has no prefilter. The submersible pump is strong and chews up
most heavy objects. I bought a plastic bowl and cut it up so that it
acted like a siphon head. The pump sits in the top of the plastic bowl,
so it is about 3" off the bottom. I cut the lip of the upside down bowl
in a scallop pattern so it allows debris through, except big stuff...
This method seems to suck a lot of loose crud off the bottom of my
pond...

But, I clean my skippy every couple of weeks. Like I said I think my
situation is due to overstocking / small pond and too small filter.

Ultimately I have plants in the water that help the biological portion
of the pond, so I think that the skippy is more of a particulate
scrubber than anything else.

As for a bit of trivia. I put all my sponges in a net laundry bag. To
clean the filters I just pull out the bag and there it is... You can
run the bag through a washing machine, I just throw the spunges on the
driveway and hose them down.

Carl

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com