Old 07-04-2005, 07:12 PM
Steve

In article , wrote:

I've got five "Black Beauty" eggplants in various plots
around the yard. Four of them are doing fine but one is
apparently being eaten by bugs of some sort.

Eggplant plants outside already? `Average' lost frost date around here
is still a week away.

Flea beetles are the problem I usually have with eggplant. Are the
holes small and scattered throughout the leaves? The beetles themselves
are small and leap away when you go in to look for them. Here is a
good set of photos (the bottom one looks like eggplant):

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/chatham/ag/S...leabeetle.html

Flea beetles can be tough to get rid of. Pyrethrin might knock them back
enough. You might also consider putting a floating row cover over the
other eggplants to protect them if they are not yet bothered (just so
long as you are not trapping the flea beetles inside.). Just take the
cover off when the beetles are less of a problem, but before you need
the flowers fertilized.

--
Steve