Old 07-04-2005, 05:31 PM
J Jackson

Default Apples: which ones to grow?

wrote:
: Hi,

: I would like to grow some apples but which variety do I go for? I
: normally let "the fruit expert" book guide my decision, which is ok
: for other fruit and veg because it only lists a few varieties to
: choose from, but the range of apples is overwhelming and the author
: does not suggest any one variety to be better than any other.

: I would like an eating rather than cooking apple and I would like it
: to store well; there's no use growing them if they rot before you've
: eaten them! They would need to taste good, obviously! Disease
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There's the rub. Different folks have different tastes and not all apples
taste the same. So find out the varieties you actually like eating, make a
list then check out which of them can be recommended for growing in your
area. e.g. cox can be a pig to grow in the north.

Each apple has it's season too - different varieties are ready for picking
at different times, from August thru' to Late Nov/Dec. Later apples tend
to keep better. My favorite is Ashmeads Kernel, a russet, pick late
Oct/Nov depending on weather and keeps thru to Feb/March

: resistance and easy to care for would be good plus points.

: Is the advice to avoid triploid ones because of the difficulty in
: pollinating?

triploid ones will not pollinate OTHER trees. Check out what neighbours
have too.