Old 07-04-2005, 06:28 PM
davek

Trying to dig the veg plot for this years crops, last year I had some
four foot wide beds, but I decided they weren't really suitable for the
potatoes, so I've started to dig them wider, to make them wide enough
for rows of potatoes in fours, eight seed potatoes in two rows, of
three varieties, will provide me with enough for the year.

So, I've been digging over the 'virgin' soil I haven't dug for a long
time, I'm absolutely knackered!

What's with all that digging?
There's an organic gardening website- 'hdra'. Should be www.hdra.org.uk but
it doesn't link.
Grow potatoes without digging. Sounds daft but they say it works.
You need a supply of old seaweed, straw or cheap compost.
I read somewhere you could put the seed potato directly on the rough ground,
and just cover it with a handful of moss. No earthing up, just keep putting
more moss on as the plant grew.
DaveK.