Old 07-04-2005, 08:56 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article , DJR wrote:
I have a flourishing bay tree growing in a pot about 19 inches wide and deep
but the pot fell over and broke. I am now considering planting it in the
garden but am concerned about whether it would survive through winter, when
it comes. Any suggestions?

Where do you live? It makes rather a difference!

With the warm winters of the past decade, bays are hardy outside
pretty well anywhere except for the coldest locations. If we go
back to those of 30 years ago, they will be hardy only in the
warmer parts. A established bay tree will survive being 'killed'
by frost, as it will regrow from its roots, but that probably
applies only when it is a rare occurrence.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.