Old 07-04-2005, 10:15 PM
Elaine T

john wrote:
My sword plant is in trouble. The leaves are melting/rotting, and the
crown of the plant looks questionable. I have recently started doing
more frequent water changes, I have read that changes in water quality
can cause this. However, I just realized that I misread the label on my
water treater, and I have been dosing at 10x the required amount.
Therefore, I could also be poisoning my plant. The fish and other
plants seem to be ok though.

Should I:
1) Change lots of water
2) Keep changing water at my current rate (10% 2x weekly)
3) Add charcoal to purify
4) Other

The problem with option 3 is that my filter broke a while ago. Since I
have lots of plants, I have just been running with a powerhead. I could
rig something up, but it would be non-trivial.

Thanks.

I agree with Spiral. Add substrate fertilizer and make sure there is
enough N,K,P, and iron in the water. I've found swords generally more
sensitive to lack of nutrients than to changes in water quality.

I would also change lots of water to get rid of the extra water
treatment. If you have a spare airpump, you could carbon filter for a
few days with a cheap plastic box filter. They're good to have around
for quarantine tanks anyway.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__