Old 07-04-2005, 10:01 PM
Phil L

Victoria Clare wrote:
::
:: I used to hover between buying good peat-free online at vast
:: expense ( Danu Organic, excellent stuff, but delivery costs!),
:: buying peat-based and feeling guilty, and buying peatfree from a
:: shed or GC and desperately trying to keep water and nutrients from
:: draining out. hoping this stuff performs as well as it looks.
::
:: B&Q still had a lot more peat-based than not though, and no
:: indication on any of it where it came from or how it was
:: harvested. I am prepared to believe that some peat-based stuff is
:: at least as environmentally friendly as non-peat, but if they
:: don't tell you you have to assume the worst, I think.
::

I was in B&Q yesterday, all their peat based stuff has an explanation on it
that it has come from managed peat bogs and that environmental damage has
not occured in it's production....whether you beleive it or not is another
question...