Old 07-04-2005, 10:12 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
MM wrote:

If modern humans were transported briefly back to Victorian London,
their sojourn would indeed be brief as many would succumb straightaway
to the ordinary everyday noxious substances that hardy workers of the
day had got used to from birth.

Speak for yerself, mate!

I have had a rougher upbringing (in that, and some other, senses) than
most of the inhabitants of Victorian London. I have slept in mud huts
floored with bat dung as a child, drunk water from the Benue and Nile
rivers, and had a few other adventures on the way. All right, I bear
the physical evidence ....

However, even those who haven't had my, er, privileges would generally
be able to take the conditions. The modern lifestyle may be soft in
many respects, but the race (even that of the middle classes in the
south east) hasn't had time to degenerate all that far. Some would
succumb, but not all that many.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.