Old 07-04-2005, 11:41 PM
Bob

...you took two cuttings,they rooted
at the point I added a bit of ammonium sulfate and saltpeter they

had not rooted and the leaves were looking beat up.. Inspection
showed they were not rotting. I am aware that in general one doesn't
fertilize when trying to root

why the hell would you want to fertilize them at this
stage?
That was very dilute fertilization -- and the results prove it

didn't hurt and more than likely, it helped the root growth

Once they have rooted well,pot them up let them get on with growing
then when they are at the flowering stage start fertilizing with a

high
potash feed,i.e. tomato feed.
I don't get what all the fuss is over ,for two tom plants!
It surely shouldn't be made to be that much trouble
It's been my experience that few people know that tomatos can be
propagated by cuttings and fewer yet, myself included, have a
good idea of how to go about it.
I have heard long and often that, as a rule, roots developed in a

solution,
such as by hydroponics, are somehow different than roots developed
in soil and that water roots will rapidly rot when put in soil.
I know of some exceptions, Ipomoea species for example,
but I don't know how it is with tomatos. Have you actually done

this?

Thank you, Bob