Old 08-04-2005, 12:00 AM
w.g.s.hamm

"Chris Hanson" wrote in message
snnipped

Hi Jason,

Sorry mate, I shouldn't titter but your poor fatsia saga made the
corners of the gob do an upwards turn!
Is your fatsia in the right place? If the conditions are right, it's
going to be huge once it is established, so maybe you should
re-evaluate. If you are convinced that it is well sited I suggest that
you 'fleece it' this coming winter. You don't say whether you are
(pardon me) exposed, but 'cos of the upwards slope of your garden, I
must assume that you are. You are going to need to protect your garden
from wind-damage and rolling frosts as best you can, this will make a
power of difference to your more tender plantings. As this is your
first garden you will have major triumphs and probably afew setbacks,
but it will surely come together in a fashion that you might not have
expected! I don't think it is necessary to plant another fatsia, it
isn't the sort of plant that looks good 'en masse'. If you have had
second thoughts about its siting, dig it up and move NOW, before it is
too late. If you can't see any signs of life within, it is worth a
shot. Dig a huge hole elsewhere in the garden and transplant it,
taking care to remember that the roots will have grown bigger.
Best of luck
Chris
SE England

Down in the village, someone has one in their front garden and it is a
sight to behold. A good 12 feet high and 8 foot across it is.