Old 08-04-2005, 12:43 AM
Phil L

Kay wrote:
:: In article , shazzbat
:: writes
:::
::: "Kay" wrote in message
::: ...
:::::
:::: You can revive shrivelled carrots by putting them in water. That
:::: is, if they've shrivelled. Supermarket ones nowadays seem to go
:::: black and slimy instead.
:::
::: I saw some french beans curling up and turning black at the ends
::: yesterday on a shelf in tesco. I checked the label, and they had
::: been grown in Zimbabwe. By this morning they were probably in the
::: bin. So no waste there then.
:::
:: I'm trying to eat only those vegetables that are in season.
:: There's no guarantee that they haven't been flown half way around
:: the world, but there's at least a better chance of it. Just wish I
:: liked the cabbage family a little more than I do ;-)

FWIW, vegetables aren't flown anywhere,it's much too expensive, they come by
cargo ship, usually in containers filled with carbon dioxide which slows
down their rate of going mouldy...only until they are exposed to oxygen
again, whereupon it actually speeds it up, perfect for the supermarkets as
you are probably storing it away by then at home, then when you come to use
it you find it has turned into soup and you have to go back to get some
more.