Old 08-04-2005, 08:46 AM
Garry Nixon

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

Where do you live? It makes rather a difference!

With the warm winters of the past decade, bays are hardy outside
pretty well anywhere except for the coldest locations. If we go
back to those of 30 years ago, they will be hardy only in the
warmer parts. A established bay tree will survive being 'killed'
by frost, as it will regrow from its roots, but that probably
applies only when it is a rare occurrence.

I planted a tree which had spent several years in a pot, (ovewintered in an
unheated greenhouse), into the garden (Jarrow, NE England). It appeared to
die after a really exceptionally cold spell, but I was delighted to see it
resurrected from the roots the following spring. It's been through another
winter since then, and looks set to really flourish this year. :-)

Garry