Old 08-04-2005, 12:41 PM
Ridge Roofing, Inc.

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 05:59:17 GMT, "Snooze" wrote:

"ScrubsFan" wrote in message
link.net...
Is it a good or bad idea to let leaves that fall into my pond decompose?
It's a pre-fab pond that holds about 80 gallons (if I remember correctly)
and is 24-30" deep.

If it is a good idea, is there some general rule of thumb as to how deep
to let the layer at the bottom of the pond get before doing some
housecleaning?

I do not currently have any fish in the pond but am considering getting
some.

You will never find the kind of fish we put in a ponds living in a natural
80 gal pond. At best youll find a few minnows, rotting leaves at the bottom
will contribute to the pond turning green, and giving that authentic pond
smell. If you just net the leaves out reguarly while they float on the
surface it's much easier.

Any suggestions for larger ponds? My pond is about 1/4 acre and in the
woods. each year there are a LOT of leaves that fall into it. Some
float off at the overflow but many do not.