Old 07-04-2005, 06:37 PM
Mike

What's with all that digging?
There's an organic gardening website- 'hdra'. Should be www.hdra.org.uk

but
it doesn't link.
Grow potatoes without digging. Sounds daft but they say it works.
You need a supply of old seaweed, straw or cheap compost.
I read somewhere you could put the seed potato directly on the rough

ground,
and just cover it with a handful of moss. No earthing up, just keep

putting
more moss on as the plant grew.
DaveK.

Long row of peat about 2 ft wide. Cover with black plastic with crosses cut
every 18 inches. Shove a seed spud through the cross. Secure edges with
soil.

To harvest, clear soil near spud, lift black plastic, 'pick' suitable size
spud, secure plastic again. Repeat as spuds grow. No tiddlers, cos you don't
pick em, no whoppers because you pick them before they get that far :-)))))

I was giving my neighbours spuds by the wheelbarrow load.

Now someone will say that method doesn't work. Barrowcloth more than likely.

:-))

Mike