Old 08-04-2005, 07:51 PM
Warren

Travis wrote:

A formula:

_L' x W' x D"_= cubic yard (s)
324

Feet times feet times inches equals cubic yards? Ummm. No.

Yards times yards times yards equals cubic yards (when you're dealing with
square corners). More accurately, square yards times height in yards equals
cubic yards. Or square feet times height in feet divided by 27 equals cubic
yards.

One key to computing area or volume is to have each measurement in the same
unit. All feet. All yards. All inches. And then what you get is that unit
squared (for area) or cubed (for volume). Mixing unit times gives you a
worthless result. A number no better than a random number.

Also, the original poster had a circular bed. The area of a circle is not
length times width. It's Pi times square radius. Multiply that by the height
in the same unit as the radius to get volume. Again, the measurements must
be in the same unit. If the radius is measured in feet, then the height must
be in feet, too.

If we were dealing with a triangular area, expand it so that it's a 4-sided
area, with one edge going from corner to corner. Now use the same formula as
for a 4-sided area, but divide by two.

To convert from cubic feet to cubic yards, you need to remember that a cubic
yard is 3-feet by 3-feet by 3-feet. Or put another way, three layers of
3-feet by 3-feet, or 3 layers of 9 cubes, thus 27 cubic feet in a cubic
yard.

But whatever formula is used, each measurement must be in the same unit. All
feet. All yards. Or all inches. No mixing.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Care for your landscape with Black and Decker cordless tools
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blac...ker/index.html